Categories

Friday 28 November 2014

BlogPosts[2] = new blogPost(3);

Hopefully this works now. Apparently my blog posts wasn't showing up for some reason. I guess I just missed the right instructions or something. Anyways, this has been the result of week three:

It has been way too much and way too little at the same time. As I have programmed before the exercises seemed like a repetition of what I have already learned, but with some small changes in syntax, which was really annoying to find out about because there were not any good error messages when they arose. So one fourth of the week has been trying to figure out minimal syntax errors and programming language differences, C++ is on top of the "most pedantic languages I have tested" list , the second fourth have been figuring out solutions to programming problems and the last half has been spent helping others in the class with understanding object oriented programming and how to use objects and why they should be used. Everyone I helped seemed to understand what classes and objects are good for and what differs them, but somehow they did things wrong. An example was the exercise where we were to create a card and a deck class, and the to store the "cards" in a "deck". People usually stored all the cards in the card class as if the card class was a holder for all the cards and then they didn't see the purpose of the deck class.  Maybe it was the high tempo, maybe the instructions wasn't clear enough in the exercise document, I don't know. I feel bad though for the ones that has not programmed before or have forgotten object oriented programming if it was long ago because this week was probably heavy for them with a lot of new information in a short period of time.

Here is an example of how I did the card class, just to show of or something:
(The const string arrays are declared with static in the header file to not take up the memory for suits and ranks more than once)

I actually skipped the majority of the seminars this week, partly because I have been feeling a sick and exhausted and partly because the only valuable information for me was the syntax differences, I have been working with objects so many times before so just listening to how it all works was kind of painful. (I checked the files uploaded on the portal and asked friends if I missed anything though so I guess it's cool.)

To make better progress I could probably have focused more on my own progress instead of my friends, though as I have said before in this blog, I think there is big value in helping others because you learn in the process of  explaining things as simple as you can.

I have a bunch of exercises from this week left unfinished. I'll try to finish them off before next week. It will probably not be too hard, I just need to clear my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment