Categories

Friday 21 November 2014

It has been a Pong week..

This week has been fully packed with programming! We have gone through pointers and functions and a lot of fun stuff and by the end of the week we learned how to make pong with the sdl library! I am still a bit lost in the SDL library because I am new to it, but I am pretty used to the structure of the code, because I have done similar things in flash. This was a bit messy thought because we have not gone through classes yet, so we had to make the entire game in one class, which means all code in one big text file. Not a good idea if you want to keep track of things...
After the first Pong lesson where we only made one paddle work, I made both the paddles work and then I started making the rest of the game in the way I thought of, because I got really inspired to make games. It worked fine and I think it was really good practice for what would come. It was problematic though when I got back to class the day after and we were to continue, because I had already written the code in my way, and it was a lot different and also less professional than the code solutions our teacher showed us. So I ended up trying to follow his steps on the screen while at the same time changing my own code so it wouldn't interfere with the new code. In the end the result was really great and it made me really happy. Next time I am going to save different versions so that I don't get carried away and then need delete code instead of just opening an older project version. I feel really inspired to do more games in SDL, but right now I need to focus on finishing the training assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment